Meet Comment: SMAA Relays 2008
09/09/2008 4:37:41 PM
Coach
The meet was very well run, with Dave Galli, a noted miler for Deering in the early 1960's, blowing the starting whistle. I do have a problem, however, and it is with the ADs and principals about the way the meet was set up. This does not reflect on the job the Thornton people did running the meet, as they followed the format that had been approved at the highest levels. Problem: There were seven individual races for the boys, and only 5 individual races for the girls. This meant a huge number of girls ran in the jayvee race, including the 6 and 7 runners on teams, who really weren't jayvees. Predictably, several girls went down at the start. With as approximately the same number of girls running as boys, how can it be justified to only have 5 varsity races for the girls. There were two race winners not available to the girls which were available to the boys. Seems like discrimination to me. I hope parents will contact the principals of the SMAA schools, because that is where the real authority is, and raise this issue.
The meet was very well run, with Dave Galli, a noted miler for Deering in the early 1960's, blowing the starting whistle. I do have a problem, however, and it is with the ADs and principals about the way the meet was set up. This does not reflect on the job the Thornton people did running the meet, as they followed the format that had been approved at the highest levels.

Problem: There were seven individual races for the boys, and only 5 individual races for the girls. This meant a huge number of girls ran in the jayvee race, including the 6 and 7 runners on teams, who really weren't jayvees. Predictably, several girls went down at the start. With as approximately the same number of girls running as boys, how can it be justified to only have 5 varsity races for the girls. There were two race winners not available to the girls which were available to the boys. Seems like discrimination to me. I hope parents will contact the principals of the SMAA schools, because that is where the real authority is, and raise this issue.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.